PURPOSE / SCOPE:
Library Circulation (Check Out)
POLICY AND PROCEDURE:
Check Out Limits
The ICOM Library has a small collection of physical books which means that check out times and the total number of books that can be checked out simultaneously are limited. General check out rules:
- A valid ICOM ID or affiliation is required to check out materials.
- Library users can check out up to 3 books at once.
- Checkouts will only be done with then library is staffed. If the librarians are unavailable, please use the manual checkout sheet located on the library’s circulation desk. Please include the date, patron name, resource title, and the barcode. Please print legibly!
The library strives to have at least two copies of all required books as indicated on the syllabus for each course. One copy is limited to in-library use only, while the other can be checked out.
- Textbooks which are not marked as ‘In-Library Use Only’ can be checked out for three days. This applies to both required texts and recommended texts.
- Textbooks may be renewed twice (an additional six days total, including weekends) at the discretion of the librarians or if they have not been requested by another user. After the second renewal, the item will need to be returned to the library so others can use it.
- Books that are not required for courses can be checked out for 30 days. This includes books in the humanities collection, the diversity, equity, and inclusion collection, the medical education leadership collection, and certain books in the osteopathic collection.
- These books can be renewed once (an additional 30 days) if they have not been requested by another user.
The library also has non book items that can be checked, including models, accessories for Apple product, board games, card games and recreational items.
- Anatomical models can be checked for 24 hours only. Some models are restricted to library use only and may not be taken off campus.
- Hardware (charging cables, Apple pencils, AC adapters, etc.) are also limited to a 24-hour checkout.
- Games and other recreational items are for on campus-use only. Check out is limited to 24 hours. For the louder/larger games, we encourage patrons to check them out and use them in one of the lounges or group rooms.
Library users are responsible for keeping track of the due dates of the materials they have checked out from the ICOM Library. Those checking out items will be told the due date. A courtesy email reminder will be sent one day before the book is due. Emails will continue to the patron until the item is either renewed or returned.
If the due date falls on a weekend/holiday, the item(s) can be returned on the next day the library is staffed.
A daily late fee will not be charged for the first seven days an item is overdue, but patrons with late books will not be able to checkout any additional items until the overdue item is returned.
If an item is lost, or not returned within 30 days of the due date, the patron will be charged the cost of the book, plus a $10.00 processing charge.
Patrons may choose to replace an item rather than pay the library the lost or damaged book fee. Replacement items must be the same edition or newer, the same format (hardback for a hardback, for instance), and in excellent condition. If a patron replaces a lost item, the $10.00 processing fee will be waived.
PRIMARY POLICY OWNER:
Director of Library Services