PURPOSE / SCOPE:
The purpose of this policy is to outline ICOM’s requirement regarding student health insurance.
All students are required to have personal health insurance for the duration of their enrollment at ICOM. To ensure students have access to a comprehensive plan, ICOM has implemented a student health insurance plan through Aetna Health. Through a dedicated ICOM website, https://app.hsac.com/ICOM, students may learn more about the benefits of the plan as well as the waiver process. ICOM students are automatically enrolled in the health insurance plan unless an approved waiver is obtained. To receive an approved waiver, students may utilize insurance which can include a parent or spouse’s employer group plan, Idaho Medicaid (during years 1 and 2), VA benefits, or COBRA. Other state Medicaid will be accepted during clinical rotations with confirmation that all rotations will be in the state for the entire year. The minimum level of coverage acceptable to waive the ICOM Student Health Insurance includes:
- Adequate major medical coverage of at least $1,000,000/policy year
- Prescription coverage
- A provider network in Meridian, Idaho area for primary care, specialty, hospital, and diagnostic care. For 3rd and 4th year students on rotation, the provider network must include states in which the student is rotating.
- Mental health coverage
- Coverage for the entire academic year, including summer and holidays.
- Coverage for an annual exam
- Deductible must not be more than $2500 annually.
Students who opt to receive Medicaid in years three and four should be aware of the limitations of Medicaid when rotating or traveling out of state. Students with Medicaid coverage will be asked to sign a specific waiver confirming their understanding of these limitations.
ICOM will assume no financial responsibility (e.g., accidental needle sticks, burns, laceration, etc.) or medical/surgical problems incurred either on or off a clinical rotation. For this reason, the student is required to keep in force a health insurance policy throughout every year in attendance at ICOM.
Associate Dean for Student Services