PURPOSE / SCOPE:
This document aims to describe the procedures and circumstances under which ICOM may consider transfer students from another COCA-accredited college of osteopathic medicine (COM).
▪ COM – College of Osteopathic Medicine
▪ COCA – Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation
▪ COMLEX -USA - Comprehensive Osteopathic Medical Licensing Examination of the United States
ICOM may consider transfer students under extenuating circumstances. Consideration will be given only to a student who is in good academic standing at another COCA-accredited COM or who is eligible for re-admission to the previously attended COM. Prior to consideration by the Admissions Committee, the student must fulfill the following requirements:
- Passed COMLEX-USA Level 1
- Successfully completed year one and year two coursework at a COCA accredited COM
The Admissions Committee will review the transfer applicant’s materials, including but not limited to undergraduate coursework and GPA, prior medical school coursework and GPA, MCAT scores, board scores and number of attempts, letters of recommendation, performance in clinical skills courses in medical school (if applicable), and verification of good standing from the transferring institution. The committee will interview the applicant and provide their recommendation to the Dean. The Dean will make a final decision on the student’s transfer.
If accepted, an evaluation of completed coursework will be conducted by the Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs and the Associate Dean of Clinical Affairs. The transfer student may be given credit for courses successfully passed at the previous institution that meet ICOM’s curriculum requirements. Each course is evaluated on the course content, equivalency, and credit hours. Additional coursework may be required at the discretion of the Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs and the Associate Dean of Clinical Affairs.
Student Transfer Request Checklist
Students requesting consideration for transfer must submit the following to the Director of Admissions:
- ICOM student transfer application, including a letter indicating why they want to transfer.
- A $65.00 non-refundable application fee.
- Most recent MCAT score and official NBOME transcript with COMLEX-USA scores.
- Official copies of all undergraduate transcripts.
- Official copy of the osteopathic medical school transcript.
- A letter of good academic and disciplinary standing from the Dean of Students at the medical school the student is enrolled in. The letter must acknowledge that the Dean of the COM is aware of the request to transfer.
PRIMARY POLICY OWNER:
Associate Dean for Student Services